2020 VWMC Conference
April 14, 2020
Henrico County Training Center, Henrico, Va.
PROGRAM: Presentations run from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., with registration, coffee, and snacks starting at 9 a.m. Development of the agenda is underway and will include the following topics and speakers (subject to change):
- Keynote Address: Coastal Adaptation and Protection in Virginia – Ann Phillips, Special Assistant for Coastal Adaptation and Protection for the Commonwealth of Virginia
Ann C. Phillips is the Special Assistant to the Governor for Coastal Adaptation and Protection for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Prior to her appointment, Ann Phillips served nearly 31 years on active duty, retiring as a Rear Admiral. She has worked to address sea level rise and climate change impact on national security at the regional, national and international level. She earned a Master’s degree in Business Administration from The College of William and Mary and is a 1983 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also a certified Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional, Level 2, and coordinates an evolving wetlands restoration project for her Norfolk neighborhood.
- Using Source Tracking Data to Identify Sewer Contamination and Sources – Raul Gonzalez, Hampton Roads Sanitation District
- Assessing Aquatic Life Use in Virginia – Mike Shaver, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Salt Watch Program – Emily Bialowis, Izaak Walton League
- Removal of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) from Waterways – Upal Ghosh, University of Maryland
- Accessing Data from the Chesapeake Monitoring Cooperative – Liz Chudoba, Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
REGISTRATION: Includes morning coffee, lunch & snacks. Registration requires completing the online form here and paying via check or credit card. No refunds after April 3, 2020, but substitutions are allowed.
- Early Bird Fee: (through March 20, 2020): $65.
- Regular Fee: $80.
LOCATION: The conference will be on the second floor of the Henrico County Training Center, located at 7701 E. Parham Road, Henrico, VA 23294. Parking is free.
SCHOLARSHIPS: The VWMC is proud to honor the memory of longtime VWMC Steering Committee member Ken Brooks by offering two scholarships in his name to cover the conference registration fee. The “Ken Brooks Scholarships” are available to full-time college students. Click here to complete an online scholarship application form.
EXHIBITORS: We have limited space for tabletop exhibits. Each tabletop registration fee is $300 and includes registration for one person.
QUESTIONS? If you have questions with registration, please contact Sophie Stern with the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay at email@example.com or 804-793-8792. If you have general questions about the conference, please contact Jane Walker with the Virginia Water Resources Research Center at Virginia Tech at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-4159.
SPONSORS: Thank you to our conference sponsors!
RECENT CONFERENCES: To view the presentation slides from past VWMC conferences, click the link below for the respective year.