2023 VWMC CONFERENCE
Tuesday, September 26, 2023
Henrico County Training Center
7701 East Parham Road, Henrico, VA 23228
Thank you to all who made the 2023 VWMC Conference a success!
PRESENTATIONS: Thank you to our conference presenters! Click the name of the presenter to see the presentation slides.
- Virginia Conservation Assistance Program: Financial Assistance for Water Quality Projects at Homes, Schools, Businesses, or Places of Worship – Blair Blanchette, Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- To the Rescue: Virginia’s American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Investment in Septic Assistance – Lauren Linville, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (Virginia DEQ)
- An Overview of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality’s PFAS Dashboard – Joe Famularo, Virginia DEQ
- Detecting PFAS in Virginian Private Wells – Leigh Anne Krometis and Kathleen Hohweiler, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
- Chesapeake Bay Policies: 2025 and Beyond – Anna Killius, Chesapeake Bay Commission
- KEYNOTE ADDRESS: “Chesapeake – A Love Letter to a Watershed” – Showcasing the Beauty of our Home Waters – Eric Braker, Braker Bros, LLC / Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
- Characterizing the Impact of Deicers on Engineered Ecosystems: Implications for Performance, Resilience and Self-Repair through Phytoremediation – Megan Rippy, Virginia Tech
- Microplastic Exposure Increases Disease-Related Mortalities in Finfish – Rob Hale, Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- Assessing Stream Health through the Lens of Fish Environmental DNA (eDNA) – Joe Buckwalter, Department of Fish and Wildlife Conservation, Virginia Tech
SCHOLARSHIPS: The VWMC is proud to honor the memory of longtime VWMC Steering Committee member Ken Brooks by offering two scholarships in his name. Ken was a champion of student involvement in the VWMC’s annual conferences. The “2023 Ken Brooks Scholarships” will cover the conference registration fee for two full-time college students. Congratulations to our 2023 Ken Brooks Scholarship recipients:
- Joe Presinzano, a junior at Ferrum College majoring in Environmental Studies, and
- Tabitha King, a graduate student at George Mason University in Environmental Science and Public Policy.
EXHIBITORS: Thank you to our conference exhibitors!
PARTNERS: Thank you to our conference partners!
RECENT CONFERENCES: To learn more about past VWMC conferences, click the link below for the respective year. Recordings of VWMC Conferences in 2020, 2021, and 2022 can be found on the VWMC’s YouTube Channel.