September 30, 2021 (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Thank you to all who made the 2021 VWMC Conference a success.
A recording of the Conference is available on our YouTube Channel, here.
- Keynote Speaker: The Great Decoupling Between Water Use and Growth – Brian Richter, Sustainable Waters
- Spatial and Temporal Patterns in Streamflow, Water-Chemistry, and Benthic Macroinvertebrates of Selected Streams in Fairfax County, Virginia, 2007-2018 – Aaron Porter, U.S. Geological Survey
- The Virginia Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts (VASWCD): Promoting Conservation Across Virginia’s Various Landscapes – Maura Christian, VASWCD
- Stormwater Management Impacts on Virginia’s Solar Farms – Erin Belt, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- In-situ PCB/PAH Remediation Using Sediment Amendments: State of the Art and Lessons from Full-scale Projects – Upal Ghosh, University of Maryland (Baltimore County)
- Ecology and Conservation of Vernal Pools – Michael Hayslett, Virginia Vernal Pools, LLC
- Expanding Use of Community-Based Data on a Regional Scale – Liz Chudoba, Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay
- Fun and Educational Activity to Teach Youth about Water Quality and Its Importance – Daina Henry, Peninsula Master Naturalist Water Quality Team
Ken Brooks Scholarships — The VWMC provided two scholarships in memory of longtime VWMC Steering Committee member Ken Brooks. The recipients of the 2021 Ken Brooks Scholarships were:
- McKenna Dunbar, Environmental Studies/Business Administration, University of Richmond
- Max Moran, Environmental Science/Environmental Thought and Practice, University of Virginia
Water Center Scholarships – The Virginia Water Resources Research Center (Water Center) provided five scholarships to college students to cover their conference registration fees. The Water Center’s scholarship recipients were:
- Abigail Belvin, Entomology, Virginia Tech
- Liz Buikema, Environmental Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Joshua Mouser, Fisheries and Wildlife Science, Virginia Tech
- Zachary Perkins, Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia
- Julia Portmann, Biology, James Madison University
PARTNERS: Thank you to our conference partners!